This is the branch of dentistry that is responsible for the correction of malocclusions (improper arrangement and alignment of the teeth and jaws).
Proper alignment of the teeth confers advantages such as;
1. Improvement of appearance.
2. Reduction of gum inflammation and bleeding caused by malocclusion by improving access to cleaning.
3. Reduction of trauma caused by malpositioned teeth and improvement in the ability to chew properly.
Braces are categorized into two:
1. Removable Appliances - These are used to manage minor rotations and displaced teeth. It is required to be worn by the patients. Another form of a removable appliance is the aligner which is made of clear plastic and worn on the teeth to move and correct certain discrepancies.
2. Fixed Appliances Habit breakers - expanders and braces are some of the fixed appliances. Habit breakers help break recurring habits like thumb/finger sucking, tongue thrusting and lip sucking, while expanders are used in conjunction with braces.
Braces (train tracks) are the most common appliances used to correct rotation and malpositioned teeth. They could be metallic or clear.
At Odontoville Dental Clinics, we offer traditional braces, tried and tested to correct malocclusions. We also pride ourselves as the premier provider of a cutting edge technology called FASTBRACES. We pioneered this technology in Nigeria and West Africa. Our Senior Dental Associate, Dr. Femi Ogunsalu is the first Senior Master FASTBRACES Provider in Africa and in Nigeria.